Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Jodi & Marie
We met over 10 years ago. I was going through a divorce and Jodi had already gone through one. She was a single mom with a 6 year old son working full time and completing her nursing degree. Something just "clicked" when we met. We didn't really understand it right away, but obviously we finally realized we were meant to be together and have been so ever since. Jodi's son is now 16 and we have added to our family by having a daughter who is now almost 7 years old. We have struggled through custody and support battles, the effects of chronic illness and the associated costs, both monetary and emotional, some of which were made worse by the fact that we are not considered a "couple" and therefore, do not have the same rights as a married couple. Although I don't think either of us would ever "marry" again - we certainly believe we deserve to have the same rights as any other couple. We have set up legal protections, but know that there is always uncertainty. Although my large Catholic family professes to understand and abide by my wishes, especially where our daughter is concerned, I am never 100% sure that my rights will be upheld should I suddenly be unable to make competent decisions. I personally believe "marriage" is a religious concept that belongs in the "church" where it was conceived. Civil unions, however, are a "state" concept and should be available to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment